January 13, 2007

Another top list?! Top 10 Composers

So, Why did I bother again to write another top ten? The same reason why people read "Dub" magazine. To look at other people's lives and wish we were living their life. But pimped out cars and baggy clothing aside, I decided to have a little looksie at my top 10 favorite composers.

So how, of the hundreds of composers in the world, did I manage to pick my top ten? First off, i'm very partial to Martial Music. The more he wrote, the more I like him. The better he wrote, the more I liked it. But there were also a few composers in here that dont really fit under the martial music type fellows. But understand, you're dealing with me! Not some schmuck who listens to nothing but raps and shuns every other form of music aside. So let's get started before I diverge.



#10: Kenneth J. Alford.

The man's famous for writing the world known "Colonel Bogey March" featured in the whistling movie, "Bridge over River Kwai." If you noticed, it was mentioned as number uno in the previous post, but I'm not that generous when it comes to non-movie music.

#9: Karl King

The Iowa king of Marches! Although he has written like 50 more marches than Sousa, his marches never acclaimed their fame since he was the more, well how do you put this? Suckier? Not entirely that sucky, but he wrote some pretty worthwhile pieces.

#8: Sir Edward Elgar

The man who wrote that annoying song that us band nerds have to play over and over and over and over and over again at the graduation ceremonies in June. At first, I would have been ready to slap this man in the face, but when I heard his Enigma Variatons, I would rather just hold his hand and commit no acts of violence.

#7: Gustav Holst

Oh man, this guy is so awesome. And the Planets suite? Oh man, oh god, oh yes! And dont get me started on his first suite in Eb for Band. *cough III. March *cough *cough cough * oh, sorry about that, I ought to watch where I'm coughing sometimes *wink wink*

#6: Jan Sibelius

The man at first, seemed nothing more than a pudgy pile of marshmallows until I heard his early work. Finlandia. Ohmigosh! It's so amazing! No words can describe it, apart from Freaking and Amazing.

#6: Richard Strauss

The little known son of the waltz king. I bet if you ever mentioned the Blue Danbue in front of him, he's probably spit and just be all huffy about it. Kinda like Will Ferrell as "Franz Liebkind" when describing Churchill. "YOU WERE LED ON BY THE B-B-C!" Well, maybe not, but he's written some pretty awesome pieces such as that one that was used in 2006 a Space Odyssey.

#4: George Gershwin

The man's got Rhythm. *haha, pun*. Singlehandedly, he's written three of some of my most favorite pieces. Rhapsody in blue, an amazing piece of rhythms as well as harmonies and catchy bits of virtuosity.

#3: John Phillip Sousa

The first thing that comes to mind, when you say his name, The Stars and Stripes Forever should be playing over and over in your head. Forever so to speak. Heh... Well, like I said, I'm a big fan of Martial music and what better than the man who's written in the vicinity of 130 marches. Sure 130 doesnt sound like much, but have YOU written anything?

#2: Dmitri Shostakovich

The man who stuck it to the Stalin Man! Shostakovich is one of those type of composers you either hate or love. And apparently, I love him! His symphonies are amazing pieces of work, espically No. 5, 7, 10, 11 and 13. I have yet to find a copy of 14 and 15. But not only did he write such stirring pieces of music, you can also accredit him for writing very light and bouncy pieces such as his Galop from Cheremushky, and his Jazz Suites. Sometimes, he got quite romantic as seen in the second waltz from Jazz suite no.2.

And topping the charts at #1: Leroy Anderson

The Swedish composer who typed his way into my ears. I first picked up his CD at the San Francisco library and at first, I was kinda reluctant to check it out since I had no idea who this guy was, but I took a chance and listened to him. The first song I scrolled over to, "The Typewriter" was amazing. I had not expected what I was about hear. It starts off as pretty light music then all of a sudden, a typewriter starts playing. I highly recommend everyone to find a copy of Leroy Anderson's "Sleigh Ride" and listen to it. If you didnt know already, he was the guy who wrote the Sleigh Ride piece. That one you always hear in the winter.

"Lets hear those sleigh bells ring-a ling
ring ting tinga ling ling...
Come on it's lovely weather for a
Sleigh Ride together with yooouuuu...."


So that's it. My top 10 composers as of January 2007!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I would definitely have Leonard Bernstein in my Top 10. I saw the SF Symphony play his music (twice). They performed stuff from West Side Story, as well as some western music that was awesome.

Anonymous said...

Richard Strauss is not related to Johann Strauss...just a head's up

Anonymous said...

He's also hardly "little known."

R. Strauss is widely considered to be one of the most important early modernist composers, right up there with Mahler...he is certainly taken more seriously than the waltz king, Johann.