January 15, 2014

Welcoming in the New Year

Every time I think about the start of the new year, I can't help but hear that little song that Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt performed on her youtube channel Hellogiggles.

I know as a big butch manly man, I can't help but smile whenever I hear these two performing in this case. But with nothing better to do than to watch videos of celebrities singing and playing instruments at the same time, I've decided to reflect a little on the past fifteen days of this new year so far.

Falling out with RideShare
I no longer side with the cause of ridesharing. You may recall from an earlier post, that I was indifferent. It was handy granted on my friend's birthday getting from SOMA up to Polk street for a night of drinking. But the fare then was eleven dollars. I had to use it to get my drunk friend from SOMA back to the middle Richmond and guess how much a normally 25 dollar fare ended up costing me? EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS. Let that sink in for a moment, since i've had fifteen days for that to soak in. Lyft and UBER decided to launch peak pricing new years eve that night, charging unsuspecting riders an additional 175% of the normal fare for tip. Granted, if I was a driver working that night, I would have been more than pleased to find someone to drive around and then make a boat load of cash.

But that night, I wasn't a rich financial banker or someone loaded with money because of my startup. I'm an ordinary twenty something with no money. I remember a time when it seemed like every twenty something was in the same predicament that I was in and now, everyone seems to have boat loads of cash. Where's my cash? So I'm very well hoping that the MTC does something about this ride share problem to help the cab company. At least the cabs didn't charge that much.

Itchy Hometown
Coming home, I've met up with friends from New York and realized how much I missed them and missed people who were musically talented to be around. I'm a little reticent to find people to live with in the near future if they're not musical. Worse off if they love music, but only top fifty stuff! I might just opt to live in a cardboard box, but I hear even those rents are going up in San Francisco.

So what does that mean, you met up with some people from New York? Well, I think if anything, it shows how much I'm growing tired of living in the bay area and itching to move far away to somewhere new. For me, I'm hoping it will be a welcome change. As much as i've enjoyed living here in the bay, being spoiled by its moderate weather, progressive fundament, it's become all kinda old and stale. I've been toying with the idea of moving away to Portland or to New York City now, but I'm just edgy trying to contemplate whether or not I could even afford to live in New York. I'm fairly certain, if I find a job in Portland, at least there, I can afford the more moderate rent. To give you an idea of how expensive rent is in New York, The rent on a one bedroom apartment there can rent me an entire house and pool in a nice neighborhood of Portland. So there's that.

My friend from New York, Darrell, has been slightly itchy himself to move back home to the Bay Area to start up a guitar company along other things. Neither of us know anything about building guitars, but dammit, we'll give it our best try if anything. Besides, the quality and craft of a novice guitar maker probably will be a lot less controversial than what Gibson has been doing lately. I like the idea myself too, living up in Sonoma, with all the rolling hills, having a little farmhouse dedicated to building guitars and stuff. I see several acres of land, rolling brown grassy fields with a a few horses here and there, and several farm houses, one for Darrell, one for myself, and the rest for others. Then a large warehouse for guitar production and a kinda nature center deal for recording music.

Romance? Pfffft...
So if you know, i've always been complaining about the lack of a significant other in my life. My mind this past holiday break has been dancing back to this one person at school in Berkeley, but I have no idea how to read her. I don't even know why I would want to date her. She postulated that question before we parted ways for the holidays, but I gave it a lot of serious thought and I still cant answer that question. I still feel a desire to date her for some reason, but I can't explain why. There are a few people in the world, that when you meet them, you don't need a reason, but you want to learn as you go along. There's nothing wrong with that, I think, but who knows.

So those are the three big topics that have been plaguing me the past fifteen days. So maybe some change would do me a world of wonders.

No comments: